Paid Media Strategist or Senior Strategist
Stand Up America is a progressive, digital-first advocacy organization with nearly 2 million grassroots members who are working to stand up to corruption and build a more representative democracy. We’re fighting for democracy reforms at the local, state, and federal level that would expand voting rights, reduce the impact of big money in our politics, and end structural barriers that conservatives have built to impede progressive change.
We focus on grassroots advocacy actions that aren’t fundraising. Our members have driven more than 1.7 million constituent calls to their representatives, mobilized tens of thousands of protestors, contacted tens of millions of voters, and helped pass bold democracy reforms at the state and federal levels.
We envision a democracy where:
- Every American has representation, regardless of where they live, what they look like, or how they identify.
- Racist barriers to the ballot are torn down and voting rights are expanded to ensure that voting is accessible, secure, and treated as the sacred right that it is.
- Americans from all walks of life can run for office and win based on the power of their ideas, voice, and experience—not on how much money they can raise from themselves or wealthy donors.
- Our government is responsive to the will of the American people—and will finally take bold action on the pressing issues facing our nation, from gun violence and climate change to immigration reform and racial & economic justice.
We seek a Paid Media Strategist, reporting to the Senior Director of Digital Content, to conceptualize, pitch, and execute an array of paid media strategies with the dual goals of growing our community of activists dedicated to defending our democracy and driving advocacy actions in key moments.
As a member of a thirteen person digital team, you will be creating, budgeting for, project managing, and analyzing state and federal campaigns to reach our desired audiences about protecting and expanding voting rights, electing democracy champions up and down the ballot, and more.
- Pitch creative campaigns. Whether it’s a national sign on campaign to abolish the filibuster, a state advocacy campaign driving emails to lawmakers to pass a rights restoration bill in Oregon, or registering voters in Wisconsin and Arizona, you will be responsible for coming up with paid media campaigns that align with our policy goals and inspire action.
- Bring those campaigns to life. Sometimes you’re drafting copy yourself, other times you’re giving a colleague guidance on penning a first draft or producing creative. But one thing is for sure: you’ll make sure every element of the campaign is on message, takes advantage of past learnings, and motivates your audiences. You are comfortable setting up ads on any platform, and know how to go from idea conception to launching the final product.
- Troubleshoot, track campaign success and incorporate learnings. You know better than anyone that launching your campaign is just the beginning. You’re checking for the cost of new emails and cell phones; monitoring our new-to-list ratio; tracking actions; troubleshooting when something just doesn’t seem right; and reporting out campaign progress.
- Project manage across the organization. It takes a village to produce compelling ads, and you have a great system for keeping up with where copy is in the approval chain, working with an analytics team, and know how to deliver constructive feedback on creative.
- Track your budget. Ads spend can be a bit of a rollercoaster, but you’re no stranger to the ups and downs of how your campaigns are spending and how it impacts your annual budget. You know when it’s time to turn off an ad set, and when it's time to turn it up.
- At least 2 years of paid media experience. That means working with Facebook business manager, display, Twitter, or other ads platforms. You know the back end of these ads platforms well, and have handled each random change they make.
- Great project management and communication skills. You’re able to track timelines for multiple projects and are a clear and considerate communicator with team members when dividing up tasks and giving feedback. You probably have a strong preference on project management software, and will evangelize about it when asked.
- Knowledge of paid media best practices. You’ve written ads variants for Facebook, found the exact right phrasing for Google Search ads, and have ridden the rollercoaster of ever changing ads platforms. You are excited by new approaches to ads campaigns, and are always looking to test and evolve what works best.
- You can move fast and slow. Some campaigns don’t necessarily have an end date, other times we are responding to breaking news. You’re able to prioritize well and project manage content on a variety of timelines.
You might have:
- Knowledge of progressive infrastructure. You may have worked with tools like Civis, ActionKit, EveryAction, ThruTalk, Spoke or Hustle (just to name a few)
- Experience working on democracy issues. It’s a plus if you’ve launched campaigns about issues like voting rights, public financing of elections, bringing new voters into our elections, or holding elected officials accountable.
- Experience tracking a cohort of people through the life cycle of their membership in a campaign or organization. We’re not just interested in adding names to a list. We want to understand who stays, who are the best action-takers, and why to help us build an even more robust community of activists.
Stand Up America celebrates diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, class, ability, life experiences, and background. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer—women, Black, Indigenous, and people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Stand Up America’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is key to our mission of building a more representative democracy and reforming a political system that has given white, wealthy Americans a louder voice and more power than Black, Indigenous, and people of color for far too long.
For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion internally and in our advocacy efforts, click here.
Salary & Benefits
Our benefits include:
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance, including 100% subsidy of monthly premiums
- 401(K) retirement plan with automatic employer contribution of 3% of salary
- 3 weeks flexible paid time off per calendar year, plus an additional week in December, for a total of 4 weeks per year, plus additional paid time off with seniority
- Additional paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Annual professional development and remote work supply stipends
- Reimbursement for coworking space passes
- Computer and accessories for at-home and in-office work
- A fun work environment with colleagues who are respectful of one another and passionate about their work.
Salary: $70,000 to 80,000 (Strategist) / $80,000 to $90,000 (Senior Strategist)